Monday, March 2, 2009

School by Zelle

School is different here than at home.  The main difference is that we go to school in our flat with my mom as our teacher.  Sometimes, we get to go to school in our pajamas, but Mom prefers us to get dressed.  She says it helps you feel ready to learn.  



The main way we can get in trouble at school here is if we break one of the home school rules.  They are:

1.  Try not to ask mom any questions about school until she has had her coffee and checked her email.  (This is a biggie, let me tell you.)

2. Brush your teeth before school.

3. You may not quit.

4. Mom cannot easily help two people with different assignments at the same time, so be respectful and take turns.

5.  When you don't want to do something, you cannot say, I'm hungry, to get out of doing it. (This is a newly added rule as a result of ...guess who?)

6. Put school stuff back in the cabinet when we are finished.  (Our home school table is also where we eat.)

We usually begin around 9:00 with our Neo (to teach us keyboarding) and our Math Facts practice.  It is like taking a timed multiplication test every morning which is not always so fun, but they are getting easier.  Bishop likes to cheer me on which is sometimes appreciated and sometimes not.  I cheer him on as well.


We write in our journals every night, but sometimes we catch up at school if we were too tired.


Next, Bishop works on his sounds and dictation while I alternate between English, Math, History, Spanish and Science.  I choose two subjects each day and alternate.  My teachers at home gave me lots of work so that I could keep up.  It makes me feel nervous to get behind, so sometimes I do extra.  That is the hardest thing besides missing my teachers and friends.



Next, we usually take a break and have a little recess.  We walk down to our favorite pastelaria and have pastries and coffee and visit with our friends, the owners.  As you can see, there are lots of choices.  I usually get a galao, which is a milky coffee, and a pastry.  Bishop always, always, always gets a version of a doughnut with this coarse sugar all over it.  Sometimes, I get that too.  They taste different, but I think I like these better even though DD and Krispy Kreme are hard to beat.  







Then, we will take a walk down to the basketball court and shoot baskets or climb in the trees.  Bishop usually tires us out so we watch him a while until it is time to get back to work.



If it is raining, which it has been doing a lot lately, our favorite "break" choices are playing chess or Phase 10.  Sometimes, Mom even lets us watch a little television in Portuguese.  That is really interesting, and I think I am actually learning a little Portuguese that way.



Next, Bishop reads to Mom and I continue with whatever subjects I have left.  Often, I write a journal entry or complete an assignment to email to my teachers back home.  Mom likes to teach but not to grade, so my teachers still do this part.





I try to practice my clarinet each day.  I had to get clever with a homemade music stand.  It works just fine, and so far the neighbors haven't complained.



It is usually around this time that Bishop is worn out by school.  



Overall, school is good.  I feel like I understand the material and it is great getting one on one instruction.  We can go really fast some days and that is fun.  I really miss my friends, joking and learning with them, and I miss all of my teachers.  I'll keep you posted about language classes  which started last week and any new homeschool developments which hopefully will not include any new rules.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Zelle, Really was glad to hear about all you and Bishop are doing...sounds to me like school is going well and that ya'll have a great teacher! The doughnuts and vanilla coffee make me hungry. Maybe you will teach me to play chess when you come back. I really am missing you and am just so glad the adventure is turning out so well for you all...Love all four of you so much! Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zelle-- I loved reading this post! You are a great writer and quite funny too! It sounds like you mom has this home schooling all figured out....if she can just keep those rules to a minimum! I miss you all. xoxo bette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zelle!
    I am so happy to read a post by you. I think that it must be wonderful to be studying the way you described. Maybe I would have done better myself when I was in school had I had such a fine teacher and manageable schedule as yours sounds. Your motivation is so much better than mine was also though. Madeira looks like the most beautiful place - I am quite sure that you are loving every moment of your stay there. Before you know it, you will be packing to come back home, so don't waste a moment... and by that I mean when you are looking at that beautiful scenery, inspect it closely and memorize it for your future dreams. Maybe you can paint or draw some in your journals to help you keep those visions in your heart.

    We had two days off this week for SNOW! Seven inches fell on Sunday. It was gorgeous and welcome, but many were without power for several days (us included). Back to normal now though despite an hour delay this morning.

    Have a wonderful week and remember that we miss you very much and are anxious to hear all about your journey on your return.

    Love you, Mrs. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zelle, your school day sounds like fun. I really enjoyed reading about what you do. It must seem very different to have your mom as your teacher. The picture of the pastries made me a little hungry.
    Say hello to your mom and dad for me.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zelle I love to read whats up with you and your family! Your school system seems fun and simple which is good. The chocolate pastry looks very yummy! Your reccess looks a LOT more fun then ours at home. We have changed back to rapter tag, but we might switch games. Say hi to your family from me!

    Elizabeth Sexton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Richardsons,
    Looks like Portugal is really fun! Have you done that chair ride where you wheel down the mountain yet? I miss you guys soooo much! Oh and the deserts look really tasty. I hope school is going well for both Zelle and Bishop. I like your version of recess a whole lot better than mine. It snowed here for 2 days which was really fun. I bet watching tv in Portuguese is very interesting! I would probably be with Bishop on the donut treat! What are some of the games that are played there but are not played here. I bet Mr. Barnes is proud of you Zelle for still practicing your instrument, Oh and our neighbors ask me to be quiet sometimes when i play my instrument outside. It has gotten pretty hot over here and its almost Spring or it is Spring i don't know i'll have to get back to you on that!
    I miss you guys sooooooo much!!!
    Luv Ya,
    Caroline Turner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Everybody,
    We all miss you so much! We wish you were here. You guys really are like a missing puzzle pice. We all wish that you were here.

    Love Will

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Richardsons,
    This is a great way to stay connect to you all.
    Continue to keep us posted.
    Much love to all-
    The McPhail's

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi zelle! i miss you soo much! school isnt the same without you. in class it always feels like we are missing someone, which we are. recess sounds like a lot of fun if you get to maybe watch tv or go get a pastry, which looks really tasty! (even though today was "pi day".)
    im really enjoying reading all of your blogs!
    love ya!
    emi

    ReplyDelete
  10. dear bishop. i hope you are having fun. i got your postcard today. baseball has not started but it going well. we had a scrimmige against jackson's team. i pitched an ining and struck 3 people out.(including jackson)we have are first game on wednesday against the mudcats.i am the riverdogs.anyway we just got back from washington d.c. on spring break.i miss you alot love, thompson

    ReplyDelete