Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Flat by Zelle

Lots of my friends have been asking about our apartment or "flat" as they call it here.  So, I thought I'd show you around.  

The first thing that you need to know is that it is very small.  Mom loves it because we can clean it up in about 20 minutes.  My chart-loving, school teacher mother thinks that everyone should be able to help clean the house, therefore she made a chart so that we can all "join the fun."  Here it is:

Monday: vacuum, dust, tidy, Tuesday: bathrooms, tidy, Wednesday: vacuum, dust, tidy, iron, Thursday: kitchen, tidy, Friday: vacuum, dust, tidy, Saturday: bathrooms, tidy, and Sunday: iron, mop, tidy...no rest for the weary.  Here is the very front door to the entire building.  



We also have an elevator, which is very very fun. 



The only thing that would make the flat better is if it had a doorman because you have to unlock three doors to get inside.  Plus, every time I see doormen on television they seem very nice.  

When you walk into the door of our actual apartment, you see a big room with a sitting area where we spend most of our time. 



As you can see, the ironing board is out like it always is.  I must admit that it's very nice having your entire wardrobe ironed, even your pajamas and especially your sheets. There is a small dining room connecting to the sitting room.  



The kitchen and then the laundry room are connected to the dining room.  The kitchen is very small also.  I think that mom enjoys the fact that the kitchen is "limited."  



But Dad says it's just fine for us.



It is nice to have an entire small room for laundry, but as of a few days ago, Bishop and I turned it into a play area with offices and an art studio.  Mom gave us the entire space to do whatever we wanted.  This is where having a schoolteacher mom is not so bad. 



Down the hall are our two bedrooms and bathrooms.  Bishop and I share a room, which is a bit challenging at times.  One of the hardest things is at night when we are going to bed and he wants it light and I want it dark. He has the light switch beside his bed, so guess who wins?  A good thing about sharing a room with Bishop is that he is pretty hilarious and he makes me laugh.  If Bishop were writing this blog, I'm sure that he would have loads of things to say about me!  Since mom has loved being in a small space, I am a little worried that we will end up moving into a smaller house one day with me sharing a room with Bishop permanently!



Our bathroom is very nice.  We have the only bathtub.  



We also have this thing called a bidet.  It is sitting next to the toilet.  Mom says that I can stop right here with the description of  what you do with the bidet.  



The next room is mom and dad's room.  It is pretty basic, except that they do have their own veranda which is pretty cool.  



One thing that we have all noticed about living here is how efficient and mindful of waste and the environment everyone is.  We can recycle almost everything, and it makes our trash so much less.  Mrs. Cooper and Mr. Thompson, my science teachers, would be very impressed.  For example, you can't go very far down the street without seeing one of these.  



All in all, the living space is pretty cool.  I wish that we had neighbors with kids to play with, but there is still time for that.  Hope that you enjoyed the tour! 


Ciao.





6 comments:

  1. your flat is so cool! i love the gamecock, by the way! :) i hope you all are having an awesome time in portugal!!!!!
    love and miss u!
    emi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zelle-

    Great blog!! Great flat!! The ironing board in the corner reminds me of my house!! Miss you!!
    love- chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zelle, The flat is so nice and looks very clean and cozy; love yours and Bishop's room and the sofa looks very comfy; the whole place is inviting... your writing is so great and I really like your humor...it is so much fun to read! Love you and all so much! Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zelle,
    We are now going to have to beg for more posts from you and Bishop! You both do such a great job of writing, and choosing photographs, we want to hear from the two of you more frequently. Thanks for the great home tour. I especially liked the picture of you at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zelle

    Your flat seems cozy and cute. I agree about the doorman, that would be fun! Your room is really cute, and sharing it with Bishop is probebly sometimes fun! Your house tour was very good. I love the picture of you at the end! Miss you!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete