Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday in Lisbon

It has been another sunny day in Lisbon.  We are still adjusting to the time difference as well as the freedom to wake up when we wish.  I don't know the last time that we have indulged in such for more than a Saturday.  Bishop coined it the "know day" which meant that we got to go to at least one place that was the same, so we knew what to expect.  Yes, he is definitely my child.  Thus, we began the "know day" with breakfast at the same pastelaria as the day before.  We dined on eggs and pastries, however, Alex ordered "steak to the house" which was bountiful as well as fun to order.  Those of you who know Alex well, know that for the rest of the day, it was "everything to the house."  

It became suddenly apparent that we needed a park and a place to play.  Our children were hurdling parking posts and causing us great sidewalk anxiety.  It was time to have a bit of free reign.  We found just the spot; Parque Eduardo VII.  There, we had plenty of grass to throw the football(yes, American football...Bishop snuck one in his bag), a park for swinging, relaxing, zip lining, and a fantastic view of Marques Pombal with the Tagus River in the background.  






We then headed to Campo de Ourique to see the Casa de Fernando Pessoa about which Alex recently blogged.  I must admit that it was pretty neat to see Alex so genuinely fascinated.  He was almost giddy, and I am now intrigued to read Pessoa's poems that have graced Alex's bedside table for most of our marriage.  A bonus to the destination was the neighborhood.  Zelle and I spotted a colorful shop that was owned by a lovely woman who took it upon herself to direct our next hour and fill in just where Ricardo left off.  She sent us to the bakery known for the best chocolate cake in the world.  It was a tiny, tiny place with a line stretching out the front door.  After watching person after person order a slice of this cake, Alex simply had to walk to the counter and hold up two fingers.  Easy.  It was incredibly delicious. 





If I had a culinary bone in my body, I would be able to describe it as there were tastes and textures to that cake that were hauntingly familiar.  We all agreed that while it was uniquely scrumptious, Mrs. Reel's chocolate cake is still in the running as world's best.  A couple of pieces of cake along with an espresso and we were off to a botanical garden where the highlight was a group of older men playing a raucous game of cards.  



By this time, we felt comfortable with a bit of navigation without a map.  My heart has ceased temporarily stopping every time we reach a busy street as Bishop and Zelle now understand crowded intersections, very fast cars, crosswalks, and the importance of not taking up the entire sidewalk when traveling. Bishop continues to do his famous high jumps but is pretty good at keeping them contained and not scaring children or elderly people.  When he gets really tired, his patient and adoring sister gives him a lift.  



To continue with the "know" theme of the day, we ended in a familiar restaurant for dinner, and Bishop lead us to "our" table.  While we are genuinely attempting to speak Portuguese, it is undoubtedly comical to those who hear us out.  I think not being able to communicate has been much more difficult than I could have imagined.  At one point today, I found myself behind a man walking with a cane to help him see.  He accidentally got behind a railing leading to the subway and was obviously confused and somewhat panicked.  Knowing that my English or horrific Portuguese would only confuse or scare him more, I could not assist him. I don't mean to sound pathetic, but for the first time in my life that I can remember, I couldn't help someone in such a simple situation.  Anyway, he managed.  Someone else stepped in so the story has a fine ending.  The first word we have all mastered is predictably that of obrigado, or thank you, a word that has come in handy in response to the kindness of every person with whom we have been in contact.  Much to my delight, I am reminded moment by moment of the universal power of a simple smile.  Tomorrow, we are off to the Fulbright Commission for some logistical business and to meet some of the people with whom Alex has been corresponding over the past several months.  Then, on to more adventures and hopefully better sidewalk behavior from you know who. I am quite grateful already for this experience.


9 comments:

  1. Obrigado, Danke, Merci Beaucoup, Grazie----they are the keys to the magical doors of international friendship and the demise of the "ugly American." Thanks for sharing---Love to you all, Bubber and Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. your effort to speak the language will endure you to one and all.What wonderful ambassadors you all are.Wish Bishop could have seen the Davidson Wofford game. Curry had 39!Love to all. Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got back to Sautee and the blog and pictures are great; hope all of you have a wonderful valentine's day....Much love and hugs and kisses....eat some choc. cake for me! It all looks so good. Love, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The park looks so much fun! The best chocolate cake in the world? I will have to go there someday! :-) Lisbon must have been tons of fun for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scenery is breathtaking! And the pastries
    look divine! May each day continue to bring
    wonderful surprises and joy to all of you!
    You might not realize just how very much your
    faces are aglow! Alex, your descriptions continue to delight and help us imagine being there. Farrar, you are so very missed and loved! Tell Bishop how proud Solomon is of him for choosing the 4 baskets of bread and butter, and the chocolate pastries! He said he's 'just like me' mom! Have a great week....talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha ha yall are soo mised here it is not the same with out mrs.r, mr.r, zelle,and bishops fluffy hair that i love to pat
    love ya much,bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks like a lot of fun!!!hope you have fun in Madeira!
    we miss you all very much back at school!it isn't the same without you!
    Love,
    Aalia S
    p.s.everyone says hi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss you guys so much! Madeira looks so breathtaking! I would love to see you again. With so many plants around, I was wondering if you had seen a lot of cool birds? (Hint:Mr.Barnes loves birds.Photos?)I am waiting for every update with anticapation!
    -Andra E.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey. I can not wait to see all of you again! I miss you all so much and I hope you are having fun. I love to look at all the pictures and every thing you post. I love you all.

    Ansley

    ReplyDelete