Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fernando Pessoa

One of the main things that attracted me to applying for a Fulbright in Portugal was the poetry of Fernando Pessoa.  He is arguably the greatest poet of the 20th century writing in any language.  He happened to write in Portuguese and English and he developed a series of heteronyms (other names) under which he composed and published.  He gave entirely distinct personalities, biographies and writing styles to these "other names" and began experimenting with them at the age of 6, in the form of imaginary friends.  

In the past two days, we have been able to visit his tomb (at the Monastery in Belem)...



















and his house in the very eclectic and lively neighborhood of Campo de Ourique.  I am rarely awestruck by such museum experiences, but seeing Pessoa's bedroom and some of his personal belongings, particularly his typewriter and journals, gave me goosebumps.  



It also provided a perfect opportunity to show Bishop and Zelle that journaling is not a place to pursue perfection, but rather to seek imaginative play with language and sketches.  Pessoa's presence is not hard to find in Lisbon.  He is a true literary hero and national treasure; we saw this statue walking between the Torre de Belem and the Berardo Museum...


5 comments:

  1. alex, you continue to impress and amaze me. What a great experience and it seems as f yu are taking fulladvantage.Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've put up a display in the library with Portuguese reference materials, Pessoa's poetry and pic, info about the blog and some of your pictures. I'll take some pics of it and send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zelle. We won our first game but lost the next 2. So we got 4th but it is not that bad. Ashley got an award after the game and it was really cool. We all have been missing you and I love you so much. It looks like you have had so much fun and I wish I could see some of the stuff you are. I love you all!



    Ansley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! What have you all been up to? It looks like you all are getting a lot of basketball in there. It looks like every one is having so much fun. I hope that the home schooling goes well and every one at school still thinks about you a lot Zelle. Soccor starts on Monday and I got a pair of pink soccor shoes. They are really cute. I can not wait to see all of you. Also the guys came in second in the play offs because they lost in the last game but every one it saying the reffs were so bad. But I was not there so I have no idea. Also 3 of our top guys got 5 fouls so that was another reason they lost. Well see you soon!

    Love Ansley

    ReplyDelete
  5. DEAR BISHOP,WE HAVE LOST ARE LAST TWO GAMES IN BASKET BALL.WE LOST TO JAY STEPHENS TEAM AND BRYCE KEIMS TEAM.WE ARE MISSING YOU. I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING FUN,YOUR FRIEND THOMPSON

    ReplyDelete