Thursday, February 19, 2009

Basketball

I mentioned a few days ago that we bought a basketball. That is the beginning.  Naturally, on the way home after the purchase, Bishop wanted to stop by the goal at the park.  Given that we had been walking all day and it was nearly 7:30, Farrar and Zelle opted to take the road home, while Bishop and I turned downhill and snaked our way to the hoop.



The area is well lit and the park is usually fairly active, though there isn't much action on the court.  In the park adjacent, there are anywhere from 30 to 50 people kicking 10-20 soccer balls around.  Usually we have the goal to ourselves.  On this first night, a young girl (about 6 0r 7) stood at the edge of the court, interested in what Bishop was doing.  After a few minutes, and her father's encouragement, she eased up to the goal.  Bishop gave her the ball and she began throwing it in the general direction of the hoop.  After several attempts, she was somewhat exhausted.  I tried to help.  I demonstrated: elbows in, push under the ball, begin with the ball under your chin.  I was thinking of the best coaches I know: Sartor, Sims and Wilson.  Eventually she resorted to the granny shot and she did manage to hit the rim a couple of times, Bishop fetching the rebounds.

Meanwhile I struck up a tentative conversation with her father.  He said he spoke "only a little English," but we proceeded to talk for half an hour.  His English was excellent.  I told him what we were doing in Madeira and for how long.  He asked what classes I was teaching at University, and as it turns out, he will be a student in one of them.  His name is Jaime and his family owns a Residencial next to the market in downtown Funchal.  On one of our subsequent walks, we happened in on him and he took a break to walk us to the Language School, where we will begin Portuguese lessons next week.  

I asked him about playing basketball on the island, and he said he hasn't played in years (he is 31) but he knows where the gym is.  He pointed up and said with a smile that he felt certain that Bishop could find a team to play on.  "I will see you play basketball here,"  he told Bishop.  "One day, we are all going to play together."  

By now, Bishop and Sara (his daughter) were chasing around and laughing, Bishop mostly dribbling a kind of keep away from her.  She walked over to her father and asked him some things in Portuguese; he replied and then she walked over to Bishop and said "Let's know each other."  Her father turned to me and said that she now wants to learn English so she can play with Bishop again.  It was getting late and as we parted, Jaime asked if we wanted a lift, which we were excited to accept.

Since then, we have been to the basketball court a number of times and had a few family games.  Very often some older pedestrians will stop and watch.  I don't think they've ever seen anyone use the court so purposefully.





Yesterday, Bishop and I walked straight up, toward heaven, to find the CAB Madeira gym.  The road was narrow and at the top it ended in a field.  I was miffed.  Jaime had said to turn left and you will see it.  So, we turned left and walked through the field, which opened onto another street, and there it was:



We went inside and got Bishop signed up.  Well, it was more of a verbal agreement.  Leaving, I took a picture of the CAB Madeira van and also of the view from the precipice, containing the field we'd crossed to get there.





Bishop has his first practice next Thursday at 6:30.  For now, Zelle is content to dominate the family games of 2 on 2.  Yes, Farrar is lacing them up on the island!  I'm still looking for the old man's league.  We'll keep you posted.  



G-unit on three; 1-2-3- G-UNIT!  Griffin Basketball for life.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to update the statesiders on your adventures. I love reading the blog... and I love this tale of friendship thru basketball. Here's to forging new friendships. I'm staying tuned.....
    Kimball

    ReplyDelete
  2. The basketball sounds fun! I wish we had Zelle to help "Us" dominate against St. Mary's! The team misses you, Zelle!
    - Emilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, I love the double entendre of walking toward heaven to get to the gym. How great is that??? I can already hear this Portugese basketball story being recounted in Bishop's college essay, or his application for the olympic team.

    Your experience has already become a story. We are glued to the set, waiting for the next post. I know the photography and writing is time consuming. We are SO appreciative that you are sharing your adventure with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, B. already has that Richardson jumpshot form! Watch out Asheville School! Really enjoying reading the blog. Alex-- what is the lit scene like there? Are there poets? JL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex and Farrar,

    Great to see you looking settled and happy. Can't wait to follow you via the blog. Looks like a beautiful place to spend a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys! Bishop's got a girlfriend! everything sounds sooooooooo much fun. I wish I was there. Zelle, we all miss you so much. the basketball court looks amazing. Especially becuse it's right on the water. And am I mistaken or is there only one goal on the court? I miss you all!
    -Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Straight toward heaven" to find a court to play BBall! If i was a believer i would scream "Hallelujah!" Ah, f-it "Hallelujah!!"
    Bishop looks as if he has that Alex follow through on his jumper.
    Will be keeping tabs on the blog, man. Sounds like a bit of heaven you found.

    - Mark D

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing - can't wait to hear about b on the court -

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bishop, I hope you are having a good time in Medera. What is happining there in Medera?have tou met a friend that you play with alot?I hope you have met some friends.Do you know what basket ball team your on?Also we have a basket ball game against the good saint pauls catholic that we havent played.I hope I see you soon. your friend Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    I don't know if you are still on Madeira but our son Rick Cardoso plays on the men's team.
    We are from California and will be on the Island 2/6/10 and will catch the game on 2/7/10. Hope basketball is still a family activity.
    Tammy Cardoso

    ReplyDelete