Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Rocks

The ultra sunny and warm weather arrived and even though Alex was at work, we found we could resist the sea no longer.  We loaded up our packs and headed down to the rocks, an eight minute walk from our flat.  Yes, there is a terrific swimming or "bathing" complex as well, but the rocks are our preference.  



I wish every child I have ever taught or known could experience a day at the sea on these rocks. One can be a pirate or a mermaid, dream big or think of nothing at all.  One can move from crevice to crevice, 



or claim one as his own,



and the sound that is created by the tide returning to the sea over these rocks is like nothing I have ever heard.  I think it could calm the most nervous of souls in approximately twenty seconds. Having only known the more quiet recession of the tide rushing over sand, I must say that the sound the rocks make with the sea has affected me. I can only hope never to forget it.

 

Zelle and Bishop were asked to pack snacks for the day, and this was what they decided was sufficient. 
 


I told them that their great grandfathers would approve, and truly, it was perfect until a group of college aged boys showed up with the same snack plus cold cerveja.  At that point, ours looked a little less festive and I considered trying out some Portuguese in hopes of a handout.  My children discouraged me, and I am glad that they were so wise, or perhaps it is called self conscious.  I would certainly have embarrassed us all on several accounts. 

The sea is still cold and a bit ominous.  



Bishop instinctively took baby steps if that tells you anything.  





Others, however, dove right in and we took notes.  There is a process.  It can be done, and it will be I can assure you.  For now, or at least until the water reaches a bit higher than 18 degrees celsius (that's about 65 degrees fahrenheit),



 we are happy to exist on the rocks.



5 comments:

  1. that sound like a ton of fun. i can not wait till you all come home. every thing is different without you all. i miss u Zelle and i love u. every thing is great here and i am excited summer is almost here which means no more school and you all will be coming home! i am really excited! see ya later!



    Ansley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Farrar, Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful day.. the beautiful surroundings and especially the great pictures or Zelle & Bishop...miss you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! That looked like so much fun. Zelle, you should be very proud of me because today i learned partially learned to play the clarinet today. Aalia cleaned her mouthpiece and had an extra reed so I learned how to play. It was so much fun. I wish I was there and I miss you soooooo much. aka the mostest. Luv ya! Miss ya! can't wait 'till you get home.
    -Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky people! I wish i could be able to do that! The sea is beautiful there, and i cannot believe that there is only 16 days left of school. If you take 5 days away for exams, that would be 11 more days ONLY! I cant wait!!
    Luv yall!
    ~Emilee AKA emi :)

    ReplyDelete